Login | Register

Post subject: How to Get Your Own World Sub-forum
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:46 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
So you want your own world to join the ranks of those with a sub-forum? These are the basic requirements for achieving a sub-forum of your own; a place to display your world(s). Keep in mind that each world is unique, each world will have its own combination of these elements. This is an outline of what is required, but this is by no means meant to be limiting. Let your imaginations soar.

1. Geographical Understanding - You need to have and be able to show a pretty good grasp on the basic layout of your whole world. A world map of some quality would be great, but multiple maps of different sections of your world would work as well. The goal here isn't to force you into making a map, but just to let us see that you know what's where in your world and you've thought about its layout as a world.

2. Races and Cultures - This category basically looks at how developed the peoples that live in your world are. Having a comprehensive list of the races in your world and where they live in it is a good way to help yourself see how your world is coming along. I'll give a personal opinion here: If, you have a world with three continents, but all your races live on the same continent, your world probably needs some work. This category also encompasses the various cultural aspects that you've come up with for your world, like the languages, technologies, government and so on and so forth. This isn't a "this, this, and this" requirement as much as it is asking to see how much you've worked out about the people in your world and how they live. You also need to show a pretty decent understanding of the history of your races and of their interactions with one another. Their own internal histories like legends and myths would fall into this category.

3. Overall Premise - This looks at some of the more general aspects of your world that make it what it is. Things like world history (nothing mind-blowingly complicated, just a healthy understanding of the history of your world), theological history and workings, the unique cobha of your world if it has one (this includes but is not limited to things like magic, special abilities among your races, etc...), and any unique plants or creatures that live in your world. You know, the things that make the reader say "we're not in Kansas anymore". Some of these things overlap with the other categories. For instance, if the cobha of your world means that certain races have certain abilities that you've developed fairly well, then it would also factor into the People's aspect, as would the history of your world, which generally involves people.

Remember that all of these categories are pretty flexible especially in regards to one another. The basic idea is that we're looking to see if your world is developed enough to have its own sub-forum.

If you think your world is ready for a sub-forum, or you would like some help finding out, please private message Reiyen with the following:

1. The name of your world
2. Whether or not you've posted about it in the forum. If you have, be sure to mention where the posts are and roughly how many there are.
3. A brief summary of how you feel about the development-level of your world and in what areas you think it could use strengthening.
4. A paragraph or so for each category, discussing briefly what you have developed in it and any areas in that category that you would like to see better developed. This may seem a bit redundant after giving the overall summary, but this helps us get a better picture of just how well your world is doing at meeting the requirements.
5. Whether you want your world's sub-forum to be open for anyone to see and read or if you want it to be private so that only signed-in members can access it.

Now how hard was that? ;) We also hope this new system will help motivate others to join those already in the Realms Beyond in ruling over their designated Realm. Pull out your files from one of your fantasy worlds and judge it against the requirements. Are you ready for a sub-forum? If so, bring it out for the world to see! If not, work towards it! These requirements provide a perfect goal to help you develop your world – with a nice reward at the end!

eru for the HW team

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How to Get Your Own World Sub-forum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:36 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Are you a published author?: No
Is this still what the requirements are? I'm considering caving in and getting a sub-forum. :roll:

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:42 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Yup, still the requirements. :)

eru

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:45 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Ok. Then I'll hold out til I can meet these requirements. ;)

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:46 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Excellent. :D

eru

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:29 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

This is one of the most exciting parts of the forum for me! It is definitely motivating me to work harder on my world.
Right now I am pretty far from meeting those requirements :pale:, but I do have one question. Do I have to have my entire world mapped out to meet the requirements? o.O I know it sounds like a silly question :blush:, I mean, if I don't have a continent mapped out, neither would I have its history, races, flora/fauna etc. But I've always imagined my world as completely massive, I might never discover every part of it (if I think about it that way, I know I never will explore every bit of it). Some more of it would be discovered in some of my stories (or in preparation for them, or my MC goes into 'the great unknown' and discovers a whole new race with their own culture, etc.), then those would be added to the subforum. So, what if I were to get to where I have met those requirements for a large portion of my world, say, enough of it that I could write a story about it with several different races from different continents, would that be good enough?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 pm 

Sex: Female
You don't necessarily need a complete map. I started out with a general map, and added as I went. :) A general idea of where the main continents might be fine to start with.

*waits for official Andrew-word*

It's hard to hold a candle in the cold November rain... -November Rain, Guns'NRoses
Romans 12:18- If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:47 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Cool, I finally got the 'rest' of my world map drawn. Now I have two super-continents and like twenty smallish islands to explore and name (though I might just 'unnamed' some of them)!

*Also waits for official word* ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:09 am 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

*summons Andrew*

He still might not get to this for a few days though. He's going to be really busy the next week or two. :P

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:37 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Nope, an "official" and fully-complete map is not totally necessary.

Quote:
A world map of some quality would be great, but multiple maps of different sections of your world would work as well. The goal here isn't to force you into making a map, but just to let us see that you know what's where in your world and you've thought about it's layout as a world.

Basically, we're looking to make sure that you have some sort of understanding of the geography in your world; which usually leads to a world map =)

Thanks for summoning me, Mark :)

Andrew

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:35 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

Cool, thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be ready by this Summer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:48 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

You're welcome, Andrew. :)

Main Fantasy Project:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

So if I wanted to acquire a world sub-forum, who would I contact with the information?

Visit my website on writing!

Current Works:
Master of Iron: Plot Development

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That'd be me, Sir Vivace :D Just drop me a PM =)

Andrew

UPDATE EDIT: After this post, Reiyen became chief of Realms Beyond. After he proved not particularly skilled at it, ELANHIL is now the ML to go to for new forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:39 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

That was quick! Okay, I'll do that once I have a little more of my world developed. :) Thanks!

Visit my website on writing!

Current Works:
Master of Iron: Plot Development

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:59 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

No problem :D

Andrew

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 pm 
Foundational Member
Foundational Member

I'm a little confused because in one discussion I thought I saw it say I should PM Reiyen about acquiring a subforum, and in another it said I shoulsd contact Elanhil. Who do I contact?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:38 am 
Captain
Captain

Renna the Gray wrote:
I'm a little confused because in one discussion I thought I saw it say I should PM Reiyen about acquiring a subforum, and in another it said I shoulsd contact Elanhil. Who do I contact?

You have to contact Elanhil (Elanhil Ion-Mimetes), Renna; he took over from Reiyen, so that's where the confusion is coming from. :)

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 am 
Captain
Captain

We might want to edit a note into the other posts about the change...it was very confusing to try and figure out what was the real instructions. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:21 pm 
Captain
Captain

Here's the post explaining Elanhil is taking over. Yes, editing the other posts is a good idea. :)

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Offline Profile