Login | Register

Post subject: Household Pastimes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:07 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Sewing, knitting, video games, board games, cards, singing, music, reciting poetry, teaching a pet to do tricks.

Those are just a few household pastimes through the ages. Through varying races, cobhas, religions, and cultures, your people may have similar, or very different pastimes. Magic users may perform for one another, or they may have exercises to work at in order to stay in practice. Feathered races might preen after dinner if they are among family. Certain groups may have pre-planned games, songs, or marshmallow toasts, while others may give everyone their own space to pursue personal interests. It may happen that there is a greater contrast in use of free time between classes of living than differing races.

What are some ways that your races and characters use free time at home?

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Household Pastimes
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 pm 
Editor
Editor

One draws. One didn't have much free time, but she likes cooking. And one doesn't have a home, so she talks to stars and flowers.

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:00 am 
Writer
Writer

You forgot to mention reading! :) In my country Lukok, noblewomen are generally expected to stay at home all the time, and because most noblewomen have servants to take care of household chores they then have lots of leisure time. One popular way to spend this time is in reading and studying literature. Classic Lukokish literature is very complex and subtle, and makes use of many allusions to other literature and oral traditions; you need a lot of time to properly enjoy a Lukokish novel. Lukokish noblewomen also study and practice many other arts - drawing, painting, calligraphy, composition, dance, singing, &c. Since noblewomen are the main practitioners of most art forms, women are often associated with art in Lukokish culture and philosophy.

In another of my countries, Mirztieken (or more accurately the mountains in Mirztieken, the Sōdacrēn), people spend the long, cold winters telling each other stories, carving, and knitting clothing with ornate colorwork-and-cable patterns.

As for my characters, there's one character I'm working on now who spends his free time researching a way to fix his crippled leg. (He's an incompetent shapeshifter who messed up his leg some years ago and is now trying to learn how to shift it back, so to speak.) And another character from a different story spends his free time coming up with evil plots while pretending to play chess, because he doesn't want to ever actually look like he's thinking over something so he can surprise people more effectively.

"For Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." - 2 Corinthians 12:10

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm 
Editor
Editor

sheesania wrote:
You forgot to mention reading! :)

Well, it's quite possible that many people in a certain setting are illiterate. For example, a race whose stories are passed down in song.

A great way to spend free time would be having something like a quilting bee, or another type of colonial party. The guys could go and wrestle or something, I dunno. :rofl:

Whatever. CARPE NOCTEM!

GUYS IMMA PUBLISHED AUTHOR *CLICK ME*
Lady Kitra Skene wrote:
Hitler and flamingos will always remind me of Abi.
Kya Lightwing wrote:
I think "IDK ask Gael she'd know" is the story of everyone's life... :D
The Dark Golden Dreamer wrote:
You kill people, Gael. D: How can I not die over that?
Sometimes I wonder about the reputation I have here....:rofl:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
The men can raise a barn. But that's an outdoor pastime. ;)

There's always billiards or various party games, depending on the occasion. Then there is also the question of whether or not men and women often spend free time together. Some cultures may have designated events or games for mixed company and have segregation the rest of the time, others may be completely inclusive or completely exclusive.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile