Login | Register

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ayrdrosk: A World of Worlds.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:40 am 
Writer
Writer

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: No
In my last Creative Writing class, or rather the period of time directly prior to it, my teacher and I had an interesting discussion about an idea.
That idea was a world where the sun is no massive, overbearing ball of light that dominates the sky, but rather a twin celestial body to an immense egg of supercondensed water. The two bodies would rotate around each other.
Around the water, however, would be huge islands of rock, each with biomes on them, sometimes more than one. They would elevate out of the water when on the light side, and on the dark side, they would sink into the water.

Naturally (or not, rather), this raises many questions about the islands and orbits and whatnot. The islands, by our physics at least, should sink into the water during the night, and if they can sustain life, they will eventually crash into the sun.
So I have a few options, because I will put this world into existence if I have to use force of will to make it work. Would another planet on the other side of the water balance things enough, do you think? Or should I just take complete control and make a new set of laws for this universe?

Please leave your honest opinion. I'm dying to hear it.

With my last signature, I tried to do a thing. I realized since then that when I try my hardest to do a thing, the thing becomes hardest to do. So now I won't try to do the thing and instead I'll just do it. That there is all the motivation necessary.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A World... of Worlds?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:31 am 
Writer
Writer

Quote:
Please leave your honest opinion. I'm dying to hear it.

I was quite serious, as well. If there aren't as many replies as views, heads will be bashed. :twisted:

With my last signature, I tried to do a thing. I realized since then that when I try my hardest to do a thing, the thing becomes hardest to do. So now I won't try to do the thing and instead I'll just do it. That there is all the motivation necessary.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:46 am 
Captain
Captain

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.
Sex: Female
Are you a published author?: Yes
Do the sun and "planet" have to be in joint orbit with one another? It could work out the sun and planet are comparable in size to our sun and Earth, but that the planet has floating islands. Then the moon might drag the islands along in a sort of tidal manner.

http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:50 pm 
Writer
Writer

But if the planet is roughly the size of our Earth, and the sun the size of Sol, what happens to the islands? The same thing as a regular rock falling into the water.
I think I'm just gonna go ahead and create new physics laws for Ayrdroks/Aerdrox/Ayirdrox/etc... probably a reverse of Skordrya xP

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:03 pm 
Captain
Captain

It could be something to do with magnetics, or possible magic or the cobha of the world. You don't even have to give a reason if the people of the world don't know why, though I myself do prefer to know about what my worlds are doing.

What happens when the islands bump into each other?

How big or small are the islands?

Do all of the islands have the same "rules" or are they separate worlds, in a manner of speaking?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm 
Writer
Writer

I made an idea. Y'know what I was saying in the chat about an interplanar anomaly and how Skordrya would get ripped apart and stitched together inside-out and backwards? Well not only have I come up with a name for this altered plane -Raydrosk- but I decided that said anomaly put all the water from Skordrya and some from an entire other plane into a ball and split the regions of Skordrya (Eisburg, Goldmeadow, Iron Peaks, Xindir, Urvenhold and the others that I haven't mapped/thought of yet) apart. It flopped the physics basically backwards for most things, so denser things like iron- or stone, for example- float in water, and things like wood don't. The center of gravity for most objects is pushed to the outer rims as opposed to, well, the center.
I know this for certain: I'm gonna have fun with this. :twisted:

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Raydrosk: A World of Worlds.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:18 pm 
Captain
Captain

Interesting. So is the world itself inside out? Do the islands float upside down because there are trees on the top? Does this apply to the animals and people as well? Does ice still float? (That might be important to life as we know it on this world.) Does the atmosphere pull away from the planet to a certain degree as well?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:47 pm 
Writer
Writer

The islands don't flip upside-down, they're a lot like rafts. Ice sinks, but the gravity flop makes it sink a little beneath the surface of the waters and stay. Wood being a floaty, it would sink further than more dense floaties. The atmosphere would still stay around the planet, as the gravity is still on the planet, just positioned differently. Animals would not be affected by the gravflop rules but still affected by the water rules, as this anomaly will happen in that Skordrya before I put Skordryans of any sort on it. So far I only have two Raydroski as well, so it's still very much a developing plane.
Raydrosk is not inside out though; it's... in a complicated state of reality, to say the least. Like if your arms were what you walked on and you grabbed things with your feet, you wouldn't be backwards, but the way you operate throughout day-to-day life is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:17 pm 
Captain
Captain

Can certain fish swim and squid swim in the air? :D

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 am 
Writer
Writer

Nope. But water quickly becomes deadly in pressure if you go, maybe, fifty feet deep because of the gravity compacting the water toward the surface. Deep sea fish live closer to the surface as a result, and pelagic fish are inaccessible due to the crushing depths of fifty-five to sixty feet. I'd imagine squid are a good food source though, calamari everywhere!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:33 am 
Captain
Captain

Does the same go for air density?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:28 pm 
Writer
Writer

I don't believe so, or at least not as extremely as in water. But the change in gravity also makes the possibility of enormous insects and arthropods possible, as in our world they would crush themselves with their own weight if they were as large as a small child.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ayrdrosk: A World of Worlds.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:26 am 
Captain
Captain

Interesting. Are there such creatures?

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

The story so far:

Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 pm 
Writer
Writer

:twisted: There most certainly are.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:46 am 

This concept reminds me somewhat of the setting of Larry Niven's The Integral Trees, a "gas torus" orbiting a star and inhabited by various plants and animals living in the free-fall environment.

Author of A Year in Verse, a self-published illustrated collection of poetry: available in paperback and on Kindle.

My blog includes the following "departments":
  • Background on the Shine Cycle, my planned fantasy series, spanning over two centuries of an imagined world's history, several universes (including various alternate histories and our own future), and the stories of dozens of characters (many from our world).
  • Strategic Primer, a strategy game I'm developing, played by email, assisted by programs I'm developing. The current campaign (moving slowly, less than one turn a month) always needs more players.
  • My poetry.
  • Miscellaneous essays.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:25 am 
Writer
Writer

kingjon wrote:
This concept reminds me somewhat of the setting of Larry Niven's The Integral Trees, a "gas torus" orbiting a star and inhabited by various plants and animals living in the free-fall environment.

Fascinating! I'll check it out.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]