[close]

Login | Register

Post subject: Re: The Diegose
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:54 pm 

Sex: Male
Are you a published author?: Yes
Just wanted to say I read all of your diegose post Arianna (how DO you spell that name? :D) and I am very impressed. Greatly well thought out character! :D Just one question...how exactly do they differ physically from dragons? At all? Or just the colors thing?

eruheran

I am a dreamer of big dreams: a student of wisdom, a reader of books, and a crafter of words. I am a servant of my Master who has rescued me. I am an adventurer, living my life to the fullest. Will you join me on this wild journey?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:12 pm 

Sex: Female
Are you asking how I spell Diegose or my Username?

I’m glad you enjoyed the Diegose Eruheran. I know I did writing and creating them.

Physically they don’t differ much from Dragons. Dragons have different looks depending on whose drawing/portraying them. I decided to give the basic outline of a dragon (physically) and leave what that “dragon” looks like to the individual reader. I do mention spikes on the tail, which lots of Dragons’ don’t have, but for the most part they look like the type of Dragon you personally, as the reader, imagine.

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 pm 

Are you a published author?: No
That's really cool that you leave the Diegose's appearance up to the reader's imagination. My teacher's daughter wrote a book and did a similar thing with her MC. All she described about her appearance was that she was very beautiful, and so all the readers imagine Isabella (the MC) differently. It's a very interesting way of doing some things... :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:05 pm 
Writer
Writer

I think some of my favorite reading was when my imagination was allowed to take over from time to time. I'm hoping I can do the same in my writing. Either way the diegose are super cool. Well... I'm off to work for now. I hope you all have a great day. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:08 pm 

Thank you Evening. Lewis talked about the power of suggestion in lots of his nonfiction stuff. He spoke on how powerful our own imaginations were and that if we merely structured someone’s imagination then our work would be stronger as a whole (not his words, but that was the basic drift).

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:52 pm 
Captain
Captain

You go into impressive detail about the Diegose.

Airianna Valenshia wrote:
We had 5 Great Peers and they ate a ton.

Five Great Pyrenese dogs? :shock: Actually, that would be cool. I love dogs.

Oh, by the way, how do you pronounce Diegose?

Current article on my blog: What Story Would You Tell To Jesus?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:24 pm 

Yeah, five. I live on a farm and my Mom was a Vet Tech before she decided to be a stay at home mom a number of years ago. Our family is constantly rehabilitating or bottle feeding something furry. We have property, so the five dogs were a happy lot.

Back on the subject at hand, the name is pronounced basically how is appears. Die-go-s. And the stroke of geniuses behind that name goes to my 16 year old brother (who was 12 when he created it). He told me I should make a story that used the name Diegose in it. That one word is what sparked my whole trilogy.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:00 am 
Writer
Writer

Airianna Valenshia wrote:
Yeah, five. I live on a farm and my Mom was a Vet Tech before she decided to be a stay at home mom a number of years ago. Our family is constantly rehabilitating or bottle feeding something furry. We have property, so the five dogs were a happy lot.

Back on the subject at hand, the name is pronounced basically how is appears. Die-go-s. And the stroke of geniuses behind that name goes to my 16 year old brother (who was 12 when he created it). He told me I should make a story that used the name Diegose in it. That one word is what sparked my whole trilogy.
Nice! Way to go little bro! lol :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 am 

Yeah, the two older boys (I'm the oldest) can be pretty cool when they aren't falling into the annoying younger sibling role (they're pretty special though). It is amazing how one little word can spark an entire trilogy.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:35 pm 

I was just thinking that a Historian Diegose would be extremely handy at times... are they good with cats? I can't have one if it won't get along with the cat. Ewoks are cute. :)

Anyway, very well thought out. A lot of curious details that will be interesting when worked into a book; in other words, there is a lot of plot potential in all the nuances. It makes me want to read your story and see how you use all this information.

I like how the diegose's ability is interconnected with the presence of its master, and that their strength is not unlimited. Adds a touch of realism; it's not a 'magic' fix that can get one out of any situation. I have one question about that, though - when you say that the ability is "channeled" through the human, how does that affect the human? Does the human actually perform some of the actions? Or does the human just need to be present for the dragon to operate?

I like how the diegose will grow dark if its master grows dark... can that process work in reverse? If a human turns, can the diegose change back as well? Or are the physical changes permanent? Is it possible for the human to make a sudden change of mind and have the diegose not follow right away? That'd be tragic...

Love the descriptions in the excerpts. Adorable yet fascinating. Don't you wish they stayed that small? It's so cute. :)

I like the visual of the Ice Diegose's scales fading as it uses up its energy. Does the color come back as it regenerates?

And isn't it wonderful when family gives you the perfect idea? :)

Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
acting captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise and supervising leader of the Officers

Join the Unaccepted and stand against the United!

Ready to self-publish? I can format your book!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:59 pm 

And all this time I've been pronouncing Diegose wrong! :roll: I thought it was "dee-AE-go-say", maybe because it makes me think of the Spanish name Diego. Hmm...

Anyways, I like the Diegose. I love how much thought and detail you've put in to them. The only thing that I'm not nuts about it how similar they are to the dragons in Eragon. Even though you've made your creatures even more detailed than Mr. Paolini's, they are still very similar. Some of the similar concepts are: the mental connection to each other, including mind-speaking and sensing each others' pain, and the dragon's egg not hatching until it feel its rider's presence.

I'm sure that in your book they seem less like the Eragon dragons, but that was honestly my first reaction. I struggle with the same thing with characters. I make up a character and discover that it is very similar to my favorite character in a book I've read. :shock:

I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds on anything here. :D

~ Evening

PS: They sound really cute when they're little. Too bad they can't stay that way. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:25 pm 

Quote:
I was just thinking that a Historian Diegose would be extremely handy at times... are they good with cats? I can't have one if it won't get along with the cat. Ewoks are cute.

They can be very gentle creatures Philli, so I think they would be good with cats. Besides, they could become cat sized and that would make them seem less intimidating to your furry little friend.

Quote:
Anyway, very well thought out. A lot of curious details that will be interesting when worked into a book; in other words, there is a lot of plot potential in all the nuances. It makes me want to read your story and see how you use all this information.

Thank you Philli. Everything that is complied into this thread is described and weaved into my story, so you get all of this information in some form or another.

Quote:
I like how the diegose's ability is interconnected with the presence of its master, and that their strength is not unlimited. Adds a touch of realism; it's not a 'magic' fix that can get one out of any situation. I have one question about that, though - when you say that the ability is "channeled" through the human, how does that affect the human? Does the human actually perform some of the actions? Or does the human just need to be present for the dragon to operate?

The Caldarian and the Diegose are partners. The Diegose does not have the ability to use the natural powers they posses without their rider. They each give to the relationship. A Caldarian has no power in themselves, but the abilities that the Diegose have are “channeled” through them and they produce the outworking of the abilities. Does that make sense, or have I just confused you? It is hard to explain without reading it in context.

Quote:
I like how the diegose will grow dark if its master grows dark... can that process work in reverse? If a human turns, can the diegose change back as well? Or are the physical changes permanent? Is it possible for the human to make a sudden change of mind and have the diegose not follow right away? That'd be tragic...

Yes, if a Rider becomes a changed being and his heart is regenerate then a Diegose will follow accordingly, but just like sin, there are always consequences and reminders that will linger with us. A Borodag who reverts back to a Diegose will still have slight differences in their appearance that can never be altered. And no, the rider and Diegose/Borodag do not take separate paths. They each have a say in the relationship, thus they will influence one another’s minds. If a rider has had a change of heart then its Borodag has also slowly made this transformation as well. It is a joint effort.

Quote:
Love the descriptions in the excerpts. Adorable yet fascinating. Don't you wish they stayed that small?

Yeah, there is something so innocent and pure about baby creatures. I always say God makes them as cute as he does because they are 3x as much work.

Quote:
I like the visual of the Ice Diegose's scales fading as it uses up its energy. Does the color come back as it regenerates?

Yes, the color returns when the Diegose is rejuvenated.

Quote:
And isn't it wonderful when family gives you the perfect idea?

Yep, my brother sparked a whole trilogy with one simple word.

Quote:
And all this time I've been pronouncing Diegose wrong! I thought it was "dee-AE-go-say", maybe because it makes me think of the Spanish name Diego. Hmm...

Really? I’ve never thought that the name could be pronounced that way, but I can see your reasoning behind your pronunciation. Hmmm…

Quote:
Anyways, I like the Diegose. I love how much thought and detail you've put in to them. The only thing that I'm not nuts about it how similar they are to the dragons in Eragon. Even though you've made your creatures even more detailed than Mr. Paolini's, they are still very similar. Some of the similar concepts are: the mental connection to each other, including mind-speaking and sensing each others' pain, and the dragon's egg not hatching until it feel its rider's presence.

Yep, this was always something that concerned me. I hate story rip offs, and while I don’t think my story really resembles Eragon, I could see some of the similarities. However, I began writing my story before I ever read Eragon or saw the movie. Mr. Paolini’s Dragon’s aren’t all that original. He uses lots of Dragon Lore in his stories, so the mind speaking and pain sensing are not original to his work, they were pieces of information I found when I began to study dragons knowing I intended to base my Diegose off of them. However, the egg and the mark (although mine is different from Paolini’s) are similar to his work, although I did not know it at the time.

Quote:
I'm sure that in your book they seem less like the Eragon dragons, but that was honestly my first reaction. I struggle with the same thing with characters. I make up a character and discover that it is very similar to my favorite character in a book I've read.

I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds on anything here.

You didn’t over step your bounds Evening. To tell you the truth, I was a very irked when I watched the movie Eragon and saw these few similarities. I thought they were unique to my creatures and my story. Course, I also thought I made up the name Airianna, but I was later informed by someone who will remain unnamed *coughFalcon Lord/Phillipofvalorcough* that they knew an Airianna. Plagiarists! :D

My book does seem less Eragonish when you read it, but I do see some parralles that are a great irritant for the previously named reasons. Thank you for your honesty Evening. I also would like to thank you for presenting your opinion in a very kind a gracious way. People take criticism better when it is spoken in kindness.

All this to say I’m not sure how to take these aspects out of my story. My hope is that when all of this information is red in context it will not feel reminiscent of Eragon because of all the differences I have. We shall see I guess.

Thank you ladies for your in-depth comments and good feedback.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 am 

I don't think I completely understand the "channeling" effect, but I'm sure it makes good sense in-context. I can just wait until I have an opportunity to read the finished book and see how it's done in action. :)

A cat-sized dragon-like friend... that would be utterly fabulous! Let me know when you've found one, and your dad provides 5 more, and I'll buy one from you. :D (If that's allowed with Diegose...?)

Not to derail the thread, but I know the agony of finding that your "original" name/creation is not-so original. It's tough (especially the first time it happens - I was amazingly crushed!), but I've come to realize... there is truly nothing new under the sun. Everything you put in your story will have a cousin somewhere; there will always be similarities. So my philosophy is not to let it worry you over-much. :)

Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
acting captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise and supervising leader of the Officers

Join the Unaccepted and stand against the United!

Ready to self-publish? I can format your book!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:11 am 

That's a good philosophy Philli. I learned along time ago there was nothing new under the sun, but sometimes I forget that.

The channeling effect is certainly a difficult aspect to grasp without representation, so I'm not sure I can describe it any better. Sorry.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:43 am 
Captain
Captain

I like the name daigoh-s. You may not like this, but I always pronounced it dee-eh-goh-s. However I still wondered how to pronounce it. Would you mind if I used the name Diyegose?

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Mimetai mou ginesthe, kathos kago Christou.
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

:::::::Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld: Here. Or see my newest post: Languages: The P`a Language
And I have my threads Indexed now!

:::::::Come See My Various Weblogs
Good Things, That Are Worth Seeing
IEHOVAH TSID KENUThe most important post: The Abomination
Other Links
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:39 pm 

*nods * I would, actually, because it is very similar to how I pronounce Diegose. Which is Die.goh.s

Sorry, Patrick. :D

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:12 pm 
Captain
Captain

*snaps fingers*

I did not really know what I would use it for anyways, maybe a mountain or a shape-shifter in a Moses type role.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

1 Corinthians 11:1
Mimetai mou ginesthe, kathos kago Christou.
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

:::::::Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld: Here. Or see my newest post: Languages: The P`a Language
And I have my threads Indexed now!

:::::::Come See My Various Weblogs
Good Things, That Are Worth Seeing
IEHOVAH TSID KENUThe most important post: The Abomination
Other Links
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:00 am 

It is the close bond that links them, not their souls. The loyalty and faith of a Diegose leads them to do whatever the rider chooses. They could, theoretically choose not to follow after them, but the reality is that they wouldn't, because of the attachment.

*whacks Brendan with a newspaper *

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:13 pm 

The idea is that they influence each other. It is a give and take relationship. If the master's heart is turning, the odds are the Diegose's heart is also. A Diegose with a propensity towards pride, chooses a master whose heart reflects the same things it does. So the Diegose wouldn't be innocent in and of themselves, in all probability.

Works in progress:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

I would think that, due to their telepathic connection, the Diegose would know the heart of the master they choose, and so would only be drawn to a master whose heart reflected their own. That's the idea I got from reading the book, anyway.

However, perhaps I should let the author answer. ;)

Current article on my blog: What Story Would You Tell To Jesus?

Offline Profile