Land Plants: Rapaca

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Land Plants: Rapaca

Here is a description of the Rapaca, or Repeca, plant.

The root was like a braid of serpents crushed lengthwise and molded into the shape of a butterfly's egg, or something between a sweet potatoe and turnip, by a clumsy hand. It was covered in patches the color of leaf litter, and the rest was a flesh yellow color, and smooth. There were multiple such tubers to a plant. The flesh of the tuber was white tainted with gray, with an almost paper thin layer of yellow near the skin. The leaves of the plant had the texture of nettle leaves, with the leaf shape of the mandrake. The leaf edges were smooth, but tender, with thin wrinkles running around the leaf just within the edges. The plants each bore a few large flowers, complicated and folded, of the orchid sort, of pink, white, yellow colors. The leaves and flowers of the plant were poisonous, but if thoroughly dried they were used as medicines in small amounts. The skins, and yellow layer under it, were poisonous, but with the skins and yellow part cut off the root was eaten like the sweet potatoe. The poison caused aching in the joints, headaches, and mild madness. The taste of the root was like the potato, but with a distant hint of citrus in a spice like sense.

I was inspired for this by a glance at a single group of loops in a patternless, beige carpet.
HPIM7901.JPG
(1.22 MiB) Not downloaded yet

HPIM7903.JPG
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Tsahraf:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Servant of God, Brother of Christ, and Sealed by the Holy Ghost.

Tsahraf is Hebrew, meaning to refine, cast, melt, purge away, try.

Chahsid Mimetes means Follower of the Holy One, or saint.

Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
I Corinthians 11:1

May Sir Emeth Mimetes find you doing this.
Thank you, in Gods name, thank you.

My Book on Amazon.

Come see the Sub-forum for my Otherworld.

One of my posts: Introducing You to Iniel (third update)

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Sex: Female

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:28 pm

Re: Land Plants: Rapaca

It's so fascinating to see where your inspiration comes from. :D You did a good job describing this, comparing it to several real plants. They sound pretty, especially the flowers. How is the upper part of the plant structured? I didn't see you mention stems, unless I misread it.
Give me coffee or give me death!
Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
author, screenwriter, co-owner of Penoaks Publishing

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm

Thank you!

Thank you for pointing that out. There is not much of a stem structure, it is more like the lily of the valley, or the primrose.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Tsahraf:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My Book on Amazon.

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 am

Here is some of the development from the other threads.

Some people would cultivate it as a crop I am sure, but not commonly. It would probably grow in the wild or in small vegetable gardens, and be used only occasionally, in a dish with something else. Its use as a medicine would be more obscurely known.

There are many, many plants that are poisonous in some form, and it seems that people only hear about the notably strong poisons. Buttercups are poisonous for example. I have not heard of buttercup poisoning though, unless some one accidentally ate one.

I think so far the most remarkable thing about the rapaca is how completely, quickly, and satisfactorily it occurred to me, and on so slight provocation.

cephron wrote:Hmm...role in ecology? What kind of climate does it thrive in? (If you want to be hardcore: how does it fit competitively into its niche? Are they eaten by any creatures?--if so, how does it escape being eradicated by them?)

Hot, more Mediterranean climate, more clayey soil I believe, near trees, especially copses, scattered woodland. Eaten by a few animals that not harmed by its poison, mainly a kind of aardvark. Its seeds are distributed by these creatures, it depends on them to survive.

cephron wrote:And, role in economy? Farmed, sold, traded? Brought over from its indigenous habitat for use elsewhere?

Mainly occasional selling and trading by those who find them, not farmed much. Probably not known outside of its habitat.

cephron wrote:Finally, is it likely that the plant might figure into your story? Athelas only made a brief appearance in LotR, but was memorable because its medicinal use actually impacted the story in a significant way. Developing the Rapaca's medicinal uses might give you a similar opportunity.

It is more likely now, thanks to the help developing here.

My Book on Amazon.

A Servant of The Author
My Google+ Posts
Pinterest Pictures

Return to Lesser Life Forms