Schinaam "Flyers"

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: No

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:30 am

Schinaam "Flyers"

Yeah, really creative name, I know. :) But they don't really have a name, yet. I had thought they'd be kind of cool to have as a mode of transportation for the Schinaam (of course, I have no idea if I'll write the in any story. I figured it's be a good idea to have some kind of development to them).

What I have so far is that they aren't large, but not small, either. They're stocky, and have either four limbs plus their wings, or two back legs plus wings, with wings serving as front limbs (I'm leaning towards two hand legs and the wing/limbs). They're a shade of light brown, but darker brown at the top, with a longish neck (a lot like a dinosaur, maybe).

How would they survive in space? Would they just have a special set of lungs when they fly in space?

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Schinaam "Flyers"

Are you envisioning the wings as being more reptilian (like a dragon or a bat), or feathered? Would the bodies be feathered or scaled, or perhaps leathery skin?

How big are the Shinaam? You want the Flyers to big enough to at least carry a rider. ;)

Perhaps "Flyers" could be the casual name the Shinaam use for their companions, while the creatures also have technical/scientific name.
Give me coffee or give me death!
Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
author, screenwriter, co-owner of Penoaks Publishing

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I was thinking more reptilian, yes. :) With the leathery body. The Schinaam have the same average height as us humans.

Ooh, that's a good idea. It could be so unpronouncable that everyone gives up trying to say it and just calls them Flyers. :D

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:50 pm

I hear ya on unpronounceable names! Good idea. :D

So, I'd make your flyers just big enough to carry a normal human, then, to fit with your idea of "large but not small." Perhaps they are small enough that some large men can't ride them. :D Donno if that fits with your story... but it sounds fun! :D
Give me coffee or give me death!
Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
author, screenwriter, co-owner of Penoaks Publishing

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Post Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Hehe. You could have certain people dedicated to riding them, like jockeys ride race horses because they are small and lean enough to. *finds this imagery fun *
Airianna Valenshia

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Post Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:38 pm

Aubrey- Maybe the size of a pony, or a bit bigger? But still sturdy enough to be able to support their rider. Either way, they'll fit into any story they may be in. They have none, I'm just developing them in case I get a sci-fi urge. ;)

Airi- Oh, brilliant! They could have space races. Or would that be too slow? :rofl:

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 am

I think it would be cool. :D I mean, how many sci-fi stories do you know have sci-fi jockeys?
Airianna Valenshia

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 am

*cough* Star Wars has jockeys of a variety of sorts. All the ones I can think of are mechanical though, so a jockey for an animal would be quite different.
"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:59 am

In what episode?
Airianna Valenshia

Works in progress:

Post Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 pm

The Phantom Menace has the podracers, and there are swoop jockeys that aren't mentioned in any episode, but I think Han Solo was one at one point.

I can't think of any who race animals, so that would be a really unique and cool thing to have in a science-fiction. Especially if they can race in space.
"Haven't I fallen enough?" She asked, head drooping to rest on the copper-black armor that once gleamed with starlight' white fire. "Must I betray my oath one more time to save these people I have betrayed and oppressed?"
Next

Return to Lesser Life Forms