Are Space Dwelling Creatures Possible?

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Are Space Dwelling Creatures Possible?

I am not sure if this counts as "Lesser Life Forms": space dwelling creatures. Is there any creative way to make them plausible?

I would really like to include space dragons (at least) in my stories.

Thanks for your help!

God bless,

Thrawn

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Re: Are Space Dwelling Creatures Possible?

I'd say this constitutes as being Lesser Life Forms.

I think that anything's possible in sci-fi worlds. Maybe they have special lungs to help them breathe with the thin air or different atmospheres in space.

I think the idea of a space-dwelling dragon sounds really cool. :mrgreen: You'd have to work on the idea to polish it. Would your dragons have wings so that they could fly, or would they travel another way? (Example: Floating on the atmosphere, or riding comets. :lol: )

Plus, what would they eat? You must think of these things to develop a truly wonderful creature. :)

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Well... The main problem is the vacuum of space. I do not know how to counteract that...

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:29 pm

As I said before, anything's possible. I think, with a little wrangling/brainstorming, you could figure out how to counteract that.

What are any possible side-effects etc with the vacuum of space?

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Well, a vacuum sucks the air out of anything not sealed... That is the worst thing. I suppose the dragon could be air tight and have special lungs. Hmmm.

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:37 pm

Lungs that, in a way, "fight the current" of the air?

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:38 pm

Ummmm. Well, if the dragon is air tight, I do not think that losing air would be a problem. What would be a problem is how the dragon does not die from holding its breath.

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:24 am

Lungs to breathe what? O.O Just create a creature that doesn't need to breathe. Or need water. :P Or need to move around naturally during the course of it's life. (Speaking of which, how would they reproduce?) In other words, not life as we know it. But anything's possible. :D

Including clouds of water and air.

Technically, it's not plausible. Not for dragons or any other form of life as we know it. But you can take the Star Trek route and forget plausibility, or you could create a creature that is not life as we know it (or is that also the Star Trek route. . ?).
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "Plans for welfare and not for calamity, to give you a future and a hope." --Jeremiah 29:11

Tumblr: http://curlyhumility.tumblr.com

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:38 pm

I guess you're just talking about mainly in space, right? Could they be semi-space and semi-earth dwelling? :mrgreen:

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Technically there are creatures that can survive the vacuum of space. These would be water bears, and various types of microorganisms.

What the body needs oxygen for is they need it as the final electron acceptor in an chain reaction that happens in the cells of the body. A creature that lived in space obviously could not obtain oxygen so they would need to find some chemical as a replacement.

In other words, maybe something could survive on an asteroid or on planet with no atmosphere. But they need a place to get essential chemicals. In other words, no long trips through nothingness.
Next

Return to Lesser Life Forms