Molluds

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: No

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm

Molluds

I had an idea for a new race, not even sure what planet I should put it on.

Similar to rabbits, they burrow, but much faster. They have the energy and appearance of a squirrel, except for the tail which resembles more the tail of a cat. They hibernate in winter, and live in northern cold climates.

This is just a random idea I had, 2 minutes ago. Hence the underdevelopedness. :) Help developing them and their purpose would be helpful.
Current Projects:                             The Future's Archives: 948

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: Molluds

I like the name. Sounds cute – or are they? They could either be loveable furry things, or vicious varmints. Depends on their demeanor and appearance. Are they snarling animals with large front teeth? Or are they sweet and curious, scavenging around and performing antics?

How fast can they burrow? What substances can they burrow through? Why do they burrow? Is it simply to make homes and escape from predators? How big are their burrows? What part of their body do they burrow with?

As for a purpose, if their burrows were big enough, there might be reason why another creature might want to get inside, perhaps use it for travel. Perhaps the molluds store food and/or found treasures in their burrows, which other creatures might want to retrieve. Extensive burrowing in an area could make it difficult to build or farm on the land, or burrows could ruin an existing crop or weaken the foundation of a building.
Give me coffee or give me death!
Lieutenant General Aubrey Leah Hansen
author, screenwriter, co-owner of Penoaks Publishing

Penoaks Publishing: Independent Publishing, Professional Quality

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks for the helpful questions, Phili! :)
Philadelphia wrote:I like the name. Sounds cute – or are they? They could either be loveable furry things, or vicious varmints. Depends on their demeanor and appearance. Are they snarling animals with large front teeth? Or are they sweet and curious, scavenging around and performing antics?
I think they're cute. But that's anybody's judgment. They don't have large front teeth, they grind food with their paws and eat the powder that's left. If you leave them in a large field, they'll go crazy!

Philadelphia wrote:How fast can they burrow? What substances can they burrow through? Why do they burrow? Is it simply to make homes and escape from predators? How big are their burrows? What part of their body do they burrow with?
They can burrow about twice as fast as a rabbit. They can burrow through dirt or clay, usually the former. They burrow to make homes, and to make passages to other hard-to-reach places. Their burrows look almost exactly like rabbit holes. They burrow with their forearms.

Philadelphia wrote:As for a purpose, if their burrows were big enough, there might be reason why another creature might want to get inside, perhaps use it for travel. Perhaps the molluds store food and/or found treasures in their burrows, which other creatures might want to retrieve. Extensive burrowing in an area could make it difficult to build or farm on the land, or burrows could ruin an existing crop or weaken the foundation of a building.
Yes, I think they'll have claws to fight pesky invaders of their homes. Maybe weakening the foundation of a home could have some interesting plot ideas, but I'm thinking the military will take them from their homes and release them in a large field. When they start to make a home, they find all the land mines. (ka-boom!) :cry:

Thanks again for all your help!!

If you see me use the big grin, you know something special has happened:       Uses so far: 8

Post Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:16 am

We should see concept art of this. :D Cuteness is in the eye of the beholder, but are they docile? What do they think of humans? Are they ever pests in gardens and fields?

I like the visual of them grinding their food. It just sounds neat. Also, the land mine idea is realistic yet sad. I like it.

You're welcome!

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:50 am

Probably they are pests, because they store the food from the garden/fields. I'm thinking few appreciate their beauty. So, they don't like humans. Are they docile? Umm, don't think so. If you try to get one, they will soon vanish, and once you do get them, they struggle until the end. I think the military catches them by placing traps at the entrance of the hole.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 am

Makes good sense. I guess I won't ask for one as a pet, then. ;)

It will be fun to see these critters "in action" in a book someday!

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:23 pm

I can't wait to blow one up! :twisted:

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:09 am

Evil Caleb, evil! (I couldn't bring myself to use ID-678 in that sentence)
Airianna Valenshia

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:59 am

I know, I'm an evil boy. [hangs head]

Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:57 pm

To make up for it, you should also have a mollud do something helpful for a good guy. You know, be a furry hero. Something that does not involve getting blown up.

Next

Return to Lesser Life Forms