O-plants

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: No

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 am

O-plants

I didn't see any section for straight-up technology or science... so I'll try my topic here and see where it goes :)

O-plants

The O-plants are plants (like gas plants not flower-type plants) that have the technology of turning CO2 into O2. Basically what plants do. The reason they exist is because sometime in the (recent) past, a radiation was discovered (or created, I haven't decided yet) that destroyed the chlorophyll that plants need to photosynthesize. All plant life on the planet was slowly being destroyed (not to mention oxygen levels were rapidly decreasing).
Thankfully, the inhabitants were able to create technology that could take the place of plants. They were called O-plants, or Oxygen Plants. During the process of creating this technology, an antidote was discovered. But, since they already had the technology and it would take thousands of years for plant-life to recover, the O-plants stayed.

Thus, the people on this planet, at least this coming generation, have very little knowledge of plants. Except for those who are trained in keeping plants alive and discovering how to enhance their growth-rate. While some plants were saved, many species were completely destroyed, and will never be seen again, though scientists are still searching for ways to duplicate these plants.
I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:
Vilisse is Quenya for a person's spirit or general personality.
Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower.

and so my spirit is one of a follower

Visit my revived, er.... dead blog! RSSharkey

Sex: Male

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 am

Re: O-plants

Stuff about plants go in Lesser Life Forms. :)
Somewhere in Georgia an alien-twin of Seer's is wandering around.

Main Fantasy Project:
Portals of Prophecy -- mid-development, early-early-snippet-writing stage

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:51 am

Moved to Lesser life forms. :)

This sounds great, Mia. I love the idea. So, what exactly to they look like?

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

J. R. R. Tolkien

My favourite quote: "God will give His kindness for you to use when your own runs out."

Pippin's Waggy Tales

Autumn Leaves

Post Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm not sure. I haven't gotten that far yet... I'm thinking they may be large white buildings, but that's all I've got :P

Thanks for moving. I wasn't sure since this was more of a technology than plant...
I am Lady Vilisse Mimetes. Humble servant of the Lord our God and warrior in His name. Though my actions are feeble and prone to failure, I shall never falter in my call. I am pledged to combat those ideas that are rooted in mindsets that are contrary to my Master.
My name is outward proof of my promise to follow, closer and closer, the words and will of my Lord and Father.

note:

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:23 am

This is a very interesting concept, Mia, and very sci-fi. I even like how it sounds very scientific.
Airianna Valenshia

The Rainbow in the Storm- My Blog

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

The Diegosian Mark, 115,600 words (Preparing for Publication)
The Diegosian Rider, 121,400 words (Finished)
The Diegosian Warrior, 15,000 (In Progress)

Sex: Male

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:05 am

I agree. Very interesting. It would be a neat story premise. :D
Eomer: "How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"
Aragorn: "As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed."
~ The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien

....::::My Blog::::....

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Now how would you set up your story, in order to use these?
Airianna Valenshia

Be careful of your thoughts; guard your mind, for your thoughts become words. Be guarded when you speak, for your words turn into action. Watch what you do, for your actions will become habits. Be wary of your habits, for they become your character. Pray over your character; strive to mold it to the image of Christ, because your character will shape your destiny.

Ideas can germinate from the smallest seeds. Collect those seeds, and let them grow in the back of your mind. You may be surprised by what finally blooms.

When God takes something from your grasp, he's not punishing you. Instead, He’s opening your hands to receive something better. The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Works in progress:

Post Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:13 am

I'm not really sure. The story I made them for is mainly held in space, so there will actually be little reference to this technology. Except in the form that they use the O-plant technology to create air for their spaceships. This technology will also assist them in populating oxygen-bare planets.

So I guess, in a way, O-plants are the reason the people have the technology.

note:

Location: Following my Father through the wilderness of sojourning.

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm

They should have huge chimney/smoke stacks only that's where the oxygen comes from. :D That would be a switch from smoke stacks as they're seen today.
You can't spell grin without ̶gRIN
Words are my ̶bread and ̶butter.
http://unshakablegirl.com/
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/kitra-skene

Haud Retene Haud Reverte

All resemblance to persons, people, friends, relatives, quotes, cultures, artificial intelligences, inside jokes, pets, unclaimed personalities, sentient objects, extra-terrestrials, inter-terrestrials, and draperies living, dead, undead, or comatose in any of my work are purely coincidental, incidental, circumstantial, inadvertent, unplanned, unforeseen, and unintentional. There's seriously no way I was referring to you. Honest.

The story so far:
Birthright: Eleventh chapter pending. 28280 words.
Heritage: First chapter drafted.
Legacy: Character and plot development stage.
Get a feel for the land. Visit Lor-Amar today!

Other novels on the brain:
Quicksilver
Shen'oh Story
Crusoe's Star
War Blazer
Seven Arts Story
The Queen's Knave
Polarians
Exile Realms
All Librarians Are Secret Agents

Post Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:19 am

Now that's a bizzare twist.
Airianna Valenshia

Works in progress:

Next

Return to Lesser Life Forms