Marriage Customs

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: No

Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 pm

Marriage Customs

I thought this thread already existed and then realized that was just about marriageable ages.

So! What sort of different customs might appear in futuristic/scifi weddings? What about off-world or alien cultures? Human marriages are symbolized by a ring- what sort of emblems would other cultures use?

I'm specifically trying to figure out how an alien's proposal might be different from that of a modern humans...

Sex: Male

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Marriage Customs

Throw in the fact aliens might be telepathic, and this could get interesting. The whole marriage ceremony could be done in your head... o.O
~Ivan L. Holt (formerly Prof. Funderwall)
- "Well, I always like a nice glass of fresh air with my meal."

Sex: Male

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:55 pm

I'd not thought about it in sci-fi, but I have for fantasy. :P

*thinks* :book:

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:00 pm

BushMaid wrote:Throw in the fact aliens might be telepathic, and this could get interesting. The whole marriage ceremony could be done in your head... o.O

That's nothing compared the the couple who got married (in Turkey, I believe) over twitter by standing in front of each other with a tablet and tweeting "I Do". o.O
~ Ophelia - Marie Flowers

Note: Mimetes is Greek for an imitator or follower: I am a follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to be zeal aspiring in everything I do, so God may be glorified.

I help organize HW group Skype Calls. Feel free to message me for details if you'd like to join us.

My blog of mostly poetry: Za Blogging
My blog of random things I want to say and share: Opinions, Thoughts, And General Rambling

Post Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Ophelia MirZA Mimetes wrote:
BushMaid wrote:Throw in the fact aliens might be telepathic, and this could get interesting. The whole marriage ceremony could be done in your head... o.O

That's nothing compared the the couple who got married (in Turkey, I believe) over twitter by standing in front of each other with a tablet and tweeting "I Do". o.O

Someone actually did that?!?!?!? Wow... Forget AI's, Twitter will take over the world instead!!!

I wouldn't know for sci-fi though. I really need to think about it; but while my methods of transportation and storylines follow the science fiction route, my races are distincly fantastical.
"Lords of the Mountains, come down from your heights.
Come down to the valleys beneath diamond nights."

"Maids of the Valleys, we come from our heights
To dance in your forests beneath the sky's lights."

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:03 am

In the US, IMO, there's too much emphasis put on the trappings of the wedding and the "personalization" aspect. (I don't know how it is in other industrialized countries, or in countries where things are still more simple and traditional.)

Not to say weddings should be completely uniform and bland, but too much about the spectacle and not enough about the spiritual is a danger. As is spending too much money and entering married life with debt from it. Also, sometimes weddings that overemphasize the bride's "special day" view the community as guests or audience rather than, well, community. Although I've also seen some nice things that do give that honor to the family and community - such as having the the bride's and groom's parents' wedding pictures on display - that was touching and personalized in a good way. :)

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Moonrabbit wrote:In the US, IMO, there's too much emphasis put on the trappings of the wedding and the "personalization" aspect. (I don't know how it is in other industrialized countries, or in countries where things are still more simple and traditional.)
I have noticed that many people in the Western cultures are having very personalized, sometimes elaborate weddings. You could say that it is a trend that might continue into a futuristic, sci-fi world.

But when I think about it I'm not sure that people in general are having more spectacular weddings than they used to be... perhaps in some cultures they are, but our Indian (from India) friends told us that they in India used to have wedding festivals that would last at least a week, all food and dancing and music and gifts and traditional, rich clothing and many ceremonial customs, not only for the day of the wedding but for the days before and after as well. But now, because there is more of a 'hurry', I suppose you might say, to all the holidays and celebrations, they only have the wedding day, and sometimes another celebration and ceremony on the night before.

So I don't know that there would be any worldwide change to marriage customs in the future. It seems to me that they will still end up doing it differently in different places, but with more variety, perhaps, because of more technology (like the people that tweeted 'I do.' o.0).

As for aliens – I have no idea. :D

Return to Culture & Communication