Registered - then got stuck in time warp - now here!

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: No

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:27 am

Registered - then got stuck in time warp - now here!

I registered here a month ago and then my life got crazy-busy. :P I'd intended to make my first post here some kind of mini-masterpiece, ha ha. :roll: Seriously, I just wanted to be sure I included what I wanted to include and gave a good idea of where I'm at as a science fiction writer. But my brain is fried, and I don't want my account to be shut down as inactive or something, so I'm going to just allow myself to do a really disjointed and imperfect first post and pray whoever reads it can follow along.

I'm a female, middle-aged, always loved creativity in many forms. As for religion, I'm a faithful Roman Catholic, a "cradle" Catholic, was baptized at 6 weeks old. :) I could read and write before I started kindergarten because my mom read to me a lot (thanks, Mom!). But I struggled in school because of ADD and anxiety, though I got decent grades I felt depressed a lot and rejected by the other kids. So naturally I became a geek - before it was cool. ;-)

Fast forward - I majored in Creative Writing in college, and also took plenty of art classes and a variety of liberal arts. I have lots of ideas started and lots of interests going on at the same time. Five years ago a friend told me about NaNoWriMo, and I started a Catholic/Christian science fiction novel about aliens, first contact, sin and redemption, and so on. It's been slow going because it's so near and dear to my heart I want to do it really well - and because thanks to the ADD and a lot of major changes in these five years, I keep getting sidetracked.

So I'm here to meet a bunch of terrific people and encourage each other and float ideas about that novel and other projects and hope I'll get all excited and motivated and be able to finish the first draft and then start editing and polishing.

One thing that has been a struggle also for me in this time has been watching the culture go so rapidly into all kinds of permissiveness, trying to discredit and silence the Christian viewpoint. I end up feeling that I maybe should keep my writing under wraps with the general public because it's not all "politically correct" so to speak. So it'll be a safe haven to be here and be able to share what I can't always share "out there."

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:42 am

Re: Registered - then got stuck in time warp - now here!

Welcome to Holy Worlds, Moonrabbit! I enjoyed reading your introduction. I've been working on a novel for several years now, too.

Who are your favorite authors?
Eomer: "How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"
Aragorn: "As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed."
~ The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien

....::::My Blog::::....

Sex: Female

Are you a published author?: No

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:51 am

Well, my favorite book of all time is Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. I first read it in high school sophomore English class, and have re-read it countless times since.

As far as science fiction goes, I have been a "Star Wars" fan since the original movie release in 1977 (giving away my age!) and that led to reading various books. I like some of the Star Wars Extended Universe novels - read one earlier this year, Darth Plagueis, by James Luceno. I like his writing. Other authors I like, let's see - Ben Bova, Zenna Henderson, Poul Anderson, and others. I'm dipping my toes into Steampunk these days as well.

After I started my 2009 novel, I realized I needed to go back and read C.S. Lewis's Space Trilogy, which I enjoyed immensely.

I like YA books, recently saw the "Divergent" movie and read the first book. Looking forward to reading the others. I was not sure if I'd like "Hunger Games" because it sounds like such a disturbing moral premise, but decided to read the books after all. They seem well-written.

All of the above is but a smattering - I'm one of those "so many books, so little time" persons. :book:

Sex: Male

Are you a published author?: Yes

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:21 am

Moonrabbit wrote:All of the above is but a smattering - I'm one of those "so many books, so little time" persons. :book:

I'm like that, too! I really enjoy the Star Wars movies and the Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis. And I like the first two Hunger Games books, but felt the third was a bit of a letdown. I hope to read the Divergent books soon.
Eomer: "How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"
Aragorn: "As he has ever judged. Good and ill have not changed."
~ The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien

....::::My Blog::::....

Return to Hellos, Goodbyes, & Congrats